Historic Preservation Commission - August 15, 2017 Minutes
The Regular Meeting of the Board of Historic Preservation Commissioners of the City of Fargo, North Dakota, was held in the City Commission Room at City Hall at 8:00 o’clock a.m., Tuesday, August 15, 2017.
The Historic Preservation Commissioners present or absent were as follows:
Present: Michael Burns, Christine Kloubec, Heather Fischer, Matthew Boreen,
Paul Gleye, Mike Dawson
Chair Burns called the meeting to order and welcomed Members to the meeting.
Item 1: Minutes: Regular Meeting of July 18, 2017
Mr. Gleye moved the minutes of the July 18, 2017 Historic Preservation Commission meeting be approved. Second by Ms. Fischer. All Members present voted aye and the motion was declared carried.
Item 2: 1005 9th Street South – Erskines HOD Review: APPROVED
Mr. Dawson declared a conflict of interest on this item and was excused from voting.
Assistant Planner Dawn Mayo introduced the proposed project for the construction of a new garage, and stated the proposal does meet the zoning requirements of the Land Development Code.
Applicant representative and contractor Dave Anderson spoke on behalf of the application. Mr. Anderson stated the siding and design of the garage is compatible to the existing house.
Further discussion ensued regarding adding windows to the dormer of the garage to match the existing dormers on the house.
Mr. Boreen moved to approve the project as presented. Second by Mr. Gleye. All Members present voted aye with the exception of Mr. Dawson who abstained from voting. The motion was declared carried.
Item 3: Other Business
Ms. Mayo reported staff held an open house on August 10, 2017 regarding a proposal to create a historic overlay district in the Jefferson neighborhood. She briefly reviewed the process for this proposal and noted a sub-committee will need to be created, which will include volunteers from this Board. Ms. Kloubec, Ms. Fischer, Mr. Gleye, and Mr. Dawson volunteered to be on the sub-committee.
Item 4: Liaison Reports
Mr. Boreen gave an update from the July 25, 2017 Board of Adjustment meeting. He also noted the yearly nomination of officers was held approving Michael Love as Chair, and Deb Wendel-Daub as Vice Chair.
Mr. Gleye stated a House Moving Board meeting will be scheduled sometime in the next few weeks.
Ms. Mayo stated there are no updates from the Renaissance Zone Authority. She did proceed to share news regarding the acceptance of the John Stern house, located at 1458 River Road South, to the National Register of Historic Places.
Mr. Boreen provided an update on the project to place a salvaged cornerstone marker from the demolished Carnegie Library, using funds awarded to the Historic Preservation Commission from the 2017 Certified Local Government (CLG) Grant. Ms. Mayo added the site selected is south of the Island Park Pool parking lot. She will be contacting the Park District for permission to site the marker at this location, confirming with the Cass County Historical Society the City’s retention of the cornerstone, and then proceed to draft the Request for Proposals (RFP).
Item 5: Next Meeting – September 19, 2017
The time at adjournment was 8:20 a.m.