Police Advisory & Oversight Board - July 14, 2022 Minutes
Meeting: Fargo Police Advisory & Oversight Board (FPDAOB) Regular Meeting
Time: 5:00 p.m.
Location: City Commission Chambers
The Regular Meeting of the Police Advisory & Oversight Board of Fargo Police Department was held in the Commission Chambers at City Hall at 5:00 p.m., Thursday, July 14th, 2022.
The Police Advisory & Oversight Board members present or absent were as follows:
Present – Scott Paul (by video conference), Todd Spellerberg, David Hogenson (by video conference), Joanna Johnson, Conrad Thomas, Lucrachia King (by video
conference), Tonya Greywind.
Absent – None.
Item 1 – Welcome and Introductions
Chair Johnson welcomed Members to the meeting and introductions were made.
Item 2 – Approve Order of Agenda
Member Spellerberg moved the Agenda be approved as presented. Second by Member Thomas. All Members present voted aye and the motion was declared carried.
Item 3 – Approve Order of Minutes
Member Spellerberg moved the minutes of the May 11th, 2022 Police Advisory & Oversight Board meeting be approved as presented. Second by Member Greywind. All members present voted aye and the motion was declared carried.
Item 4 – Public Comment Period
1. Lillian Jones voiced her concern regarding the number of deceased homeless persons, specifically of color, that are pulled from the river and how often those deaths are considered accidental drownings.
2. Faith Dixon spoke of the death of Shane Netterville and the toll it has taken on his family. She called for the Board to demand release of the body cam footage.
3. Andrew Buck reiterated the call made by a citizen during the May 11th, 2022 meeting for an investigation into police use of force during the events of May 30th, 2020. He spoke specifically of being tear-gassed.
4. Christopher Coen provided the Board with a written list of some of his concerns and questions regarding the events of May 30th, 2020. He also spoke of some of those concerns, including Police presence downtown before the start of the event, the use of tear gas, and the Police Department's use of social media.
Item 5 – Police Department Updates
Fargo Police Chief Zibolski provided a presentation regarding Police-involved critical incidents, including policies and protocols.
1. An overview of Policy 305: Officer-Involved Shootings and Deaths (currently under review), which establishes procedures for the investigation of an incident in which a person is injured or dies as the result of an officerinvolved shooting or other action of an officer. An overview of the four types of investigations that are undertaken after/during a critical incidents:
• Criminal investigation of the involved officer(s) actions (done by an outside agency such as the North Dakota Bureau of Criminal Investigation)
• Criminal investigation of the involved suspect/victim actions
• Internal/administration investigation as to policy compliance by involved officers
• Civil investigation to determine potential liability
2. An overview of the Policy 300: Use of Force section 300.4.1 (Moving Vehicles)
3. An overview of the review and public release of video (referencing Policy 424: Portable Audio/Video recorders)
Item 6 – Ascertain date for August 2022 FPDAOB meeting
It was suggested that the August 2022 FPDAOB meeting be held Wednesday, August 10th, 2022 rather than the regularly scheduled Thursday, August 11th, 2022. Member Spellerberg moved to approve the change. Member Thomas seconded. All members present voted aye and the motion was carried.
Item 7 – Adjourn
The time at adjournment was 6:04 p.m.