Fargo Public Library Board – July 17, 2018 Minutes
Regular Meeting: Tuesday, July 17, 2018
Board Members Present: Rachael Steenholdt, Mary Dickson, Carlos Hawley Jr., Mary Batcheller
Board Members Absent: Jan Ulferts Stewart, Carrie Peterson, Scott Beaulier
Staff: Tim Dirks, Betsy Dauer, Sunny Branick
President, Rachael Steenholdt called the meeting to order at 4:04 PM, and a quorum was declared.
Order of Agenda
A motion was made by Mary Dickson to approve the Order of the Agenda. Mary Batcheller seconded the motion; motion carried.
Minutes of June 19, 2018 Regular Meeting
Carlos Hawley Jr. moved to approve the minutes of the June 19, 2018 meeting. Mary Dickson seconded the motion; motion carried.
Staff updates and Staff development activities:
• Our new full-time Library Associate II’s are Kayla Birkholz and Dacotah Qualley.
• Cheryl Lackman and Lori West are finishing up the interviews for the 3 LA I positions.
Upcoming Events & Programs (a partial and incomplete list):
• The Upcoming weeks for the Children’s Summer Reading program are Strummin’ and Hummin’, and Libraries Rock LIVE. There will be events nearly every weekday.
• Some special presenters that will be at the library during the next month include a Handmade Guitars program on July 19th, Jack and Kitty LIVE at the Library on July 23rd, Rockin’ Red LIVE at the Library on July 26th, and then the end of the Summer Reading Program party-- Library-Palooza on July 27th, which will include a live performance from Pat Lenertz & The Belmonts and Navy STEM activities.
• The Children’s dept. thanks the Friends, who donated $1310 for the 3 live concerts.
• Regional author Marcie Rendon will appear at the Main Library on August 1st. She will read and discuss her book Murder on the Red River. A book signing will follow.
• The library is hosting a Go demonstration this week on July 19 at the Main Library. Go is a Chinese board game older than chess. There will be a demonstration and a brief meeting to determine interest in hosting a monthly meet-up.
• The library is hosting numerous Navy Week events, so be sure to check our calendar.
Notable Past events & programs (again, a partial list):
• The Talent Show for children and teens was well attended (66 attendees). Talents ranged from singing and playing musical instruments to magic tricks! The winners in each age group were the magicians.
• We had 9 programs scheduled and all were very well attended (134 attendees). July programs that require pre-registration are all also nearly full.
• Fargo’s Lindy of the North swing dancing group presented the history of swing dancing and a demo on June 20 at the Main Library. Sixteen people attended.
• The Northern Narratives book launch and reception was June 25 at the Dr. James Carlson Library. Thirty-four people attended. Several contributing authors read from their selected pieces. Special thanks to the Friends for supporting this project.
• Christine Seifert talked about book The Factory Girls: A Kaleidoscopic Account of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire on June 26, at the Main Library (35 attendees).
• Vinyl Record Care event was July 9th. 19 people attended this informative session led by local record collector and Fargo Record Fair organizer Dean Sime.
President, Rachael Steenholdt thanked Sunny for the staff report.
Director Tim Dirks referred the Board to his written report in the Board Packet.
President, Rachael Steenholdt opened the floor for comments. No comments.
The library had 38,765 registered patrons for the month of June. Attendance was up 3% year to date. Program attendance was down 4% year to date. Volunteer hours were down 10% year to date. Internet signups were up 2% year to date. Print circulation was up 1.82% year to date. Nonprint circulation was up 0.53% year to date. Total circulation year to date is 506,428 circulations.
There was $7,780 in incoming donations. Expenditures of donations totaled $54,403 which included the final distributions of the Dusek Estate being transferred to FM Area Foundation. The year is 50% lapsed while the budget is 47.53% expended. Revenue is at $43,713.47 year to date.
President, Rachael Steenholdt opened the floor for comments. No Comments
Friends of the Library Report
No Friends members present.
No old business.
Registration Policy Draft:
Director Tim Dirks referred the Board to the Registration Policy Draft in the Board Packet. Draft language was added for a Student Digital Resources Card for students K-12.
A motion was made by Carlos Hawley Jr. to approve the Registration Policy with the draft language as written. Mary Dickson seconded the motion; motion carried.
Library Board Bylaws Draft:
Director Tim Dirks referred the Board to the Library Board Bylaws Draft in the Board Packet. Draft language was added to Article V, Section 2 stating “The President will serve as the formally designated representative of the governing body of the city on the Library Board”.
A motion was made by Mary Batcheller to approve the Library Board Bylaws with the draft language as written. Carlos Hawley Jr. seconded the motion; motion carried.
Rules of Conduct Policy Review:
Director Tim Dirks referred the Board to the Rules of Conduct Policy in the Board Packet. No changes were recommended.
A motion was made by Mary Dickson to approve the Rules of Conduct Policy as is. Carlos Hawley Jr. seconded the motion; motion carried.
Staff Identification Policy Review:
Director Tim Dirks referred the Board to the Staff Identification Policy in the Board Packet. No changes were recommended.
A motion was made by Mary Batcheller to approve the Staff Identification Policy as is. Mary Dickson seconded the motion; motion carried.
There was no public comment.
Next Board Meeting
The next regular Board Meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, August 21, 2018.
The meeting adjourned at 4:25 PM.