Fargo Public Library Board - January 15, 2019 Minutes
Regular Meeting: Tuesday, January 15, 2019
Board Members Present: Rachael Steenholdt, Mary Batcheller, Carrie Peterson
Board Members Absent: Mary Dickson, Jan Ulferts Stewart, Carlos Hawley Jr., Scott Beaulier
Staff: Tim Dirks, Sunny Branick, Betsy Dauer, Melisa Duncan
President, Rachael Steenholdt called the meeting to order at 4:05 PM. Due to no quorum present this was an information only meeting. All action items will be saved for the next meeting.
Order of Agenda
Agenda will be an action item at next meeting
Minutes of December 18, 2018 Regular Meeting
Minutes of December 18, 2018 meeting will be an action item at next meeting
Staff updates and Staff development activities:
• Harshita Gaba and Habsa Bashir are the new Pages at Main.
• Alexa Deschene is the new Page at Carlson.
• Lisa Trana is our new Library Intern.
Upcoming Events & Programs (a partial and incomplete list):
• Jan. 28 - May 20: Crafternoons at Carlson on Mondays and Northport on Tuesdays. Children up to age 12 are welcome to drop in anytime 3:00 - 4:30 p.m. to get crafty at the library. Each week features a new craft. No registration is required to participate.
• The Enchanted Book Club: Kids in grades 3 to 7 are invited to join our book club! One Wednesday each month we meet at 4:00 p.m. at the Main Library. We read and experience a new book through related activities, discussion, snacks and crafts. Pre-register and pick up a copy of the current book at the Children's Desk or call 701.241.1495.
• Wednesday, Jan. 16 – The Vanderbeekers on 141st Street by Karina Yan Glaser
• Wednesday, Feb. 20 – Wishtree by Katherine Applegate
• Jan. 15 - Main Library at 7:00 p.m.: Dr. Jacqueline Bussie, award-winning author, public speaker and Concordia College religion professor, will do a reading and signing of her new book Love Without Limits, a memoir and how-to guide for love across differences in these divided times. This event is free and open to the public; books will be available for purchase.
• Jan. 16 – Main Library at 6:30 p.m.: Podcasting 101 with J.J. Gordon and Tucker Lucas. Local comedian and radio host J.J. Gordon along with producer Tucker Lucas are the creative and entertaining forces behind the podcast JJ Meets World. With over 60 podcast episodes to date, J.J. and Tucker will share the fundamentals of what makes a good podcast, and the basic technical steps you can take to start your own. No registration is required.
• Jan. 22 – Main Library at 6:30 p.m.: Podcast Lovers Unite. Love podcasts? Want to talk about podcasts with other people who love podcasts? Or maybe you just want to find some new favorites or learn what this whole podcast thing is even about. True crime, self-help, comedy, pop culture, whatever your fave is – join us for a casual discussion and snacks! Recommended for adults. No registration is required.
• Jan. 25 – Main Library: Encore Performances of "Behind the Books: A Library Tour (& Murder Mystery)" Ever wonder what goes on behind the scenes at the library? Be careful, you know what they say about curiosity and the cat! Join library staff for a special, after hour’s tour of the library. What could possibly go wrong? Probably nothing, right?! Be ready to solve the mystery, should there be one. These events are for Adults & Teens (16+). Pre-registration is required; Session 1 at 6 p.m. & Session 2 at 7:15 p.m.
• Jan. 7 - Mar. 3: Winter Read-A-Thon. Readers of all ages can find their perfect cold weather read during the Fargo Public Library’s annual Winter Read-a-Thon. Participants can pick up a book log at any Fargo Public Library location or print one from the website.
• Pre-Readers track titles of books read and Readers track time spent reading. Complete the front of the book log and return to any location to claim a prize. Continue on the back of the book log to earn a free book!
• Teens can turn in a completed book log to win a free book and be entered into the grand prize drawing.
• Adults can turn in a completed book log and get a FPL mug and also be entered into the grand prize drawing.
• During this year’s Winter Read-a-Thon, readers can bring in a non-perishable food or unused toiletry item. For each item donated, library patrons will receive up to $5 in fine forgiveness (including lost or damaged item fees).
• In addition, for every completed book log, patrons can receive up to $5 in fine forgiveness. Some restrictions apply. Please, no expired or opened/used items. Items will benefit Great Plains Food Bank, Gladys Ray Shelter, and Youthworks of North Dakota. Remember, children’s items no longer receive overdue fines (children’s materials can still incur lost or damaged item fees)!
• Jan. 26 – Main Library at 2:00 p.m.: Board Game Blowout! Try out a new game from the library’s collection or bring a favorite to play with family and friends. Join us for any of these family friendly Board Game Blowout events, where we will feature a new game each month in addition to having a variety of games available for free play. No pre-registration is required. This event is open to children, teens, and adults of all ages.
Notable Past events & programs (again, a partial list):
• Jan. 31: The PJMasks’arade’ drew in 200 people. The participated in superhero activities, and made a craft. PJMasks is a popular PBS kids show about 3 children who turn into superheroes at bedtime. They go into the night to save the day!
• Dec. 16: Silent Reading Party at Front Street Taproom. Ten people attended. FPL staff were on hand to check out books and provide snacks.
• Jan. 5: Bullet Journaling Workshop. 60 people participated. Plans are in the works to offer this again later this year.
Director Tim Dirks referred the Board to his written report in the Board Packet.
The library had 38,543 registered patrons for the month of December. Attendance was up 1% year to date. Program attendance was up 35% year to date and up 5% compared to December 2017. Total program attendance for 2018 was 27,607, a new Fargo Public Library record. Volunteer hours were down 31% year to date and down 3% compared to December 2017. Internet signups were down 4% year to date. Print circulation was up 4.33% year to date. Nonprint circulation was up 2.81% year to date. Total circulation year to date is 91,026,953 circulations, also a new Fargo Public Library record.
The year is 100% lapsed while the budget is 95.93% expended. Final 2018 budget expenditures will post in early 2019. There was $54 in incoming donations. Expenditures of donations totaled $305. Revenue is at $76,057.06 year to date.
Friends of the Library Report
No Friends report.
No unfinished business.
Library Social Media Overview
Melisa Duncan, Community Relations Specialist, gave an overview of the Library’s Social Media presence.
Registration Policy Draft
The Registration Policy Draft will be an action item at the next meeting.
No public comment.
Next Board Meeting
The next regular Board Meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 4:00 PM.
The meeting adjourned at 4:30 PM.