Fargo Public Library Board - February 19, 2019 Minutes
Regular Meeting: Tuesday, February 19, 2019
Board Members Present: Mary Batcheller, Carrie Peterson, Mary Dickson, Jan Ulferts Stewart, Carlos Hawley Jr., Scott Beaulier
Board Members Absent: Rachael Steenholdt
Staff: Tim Dirks, Sunny Branick, Betsy Dauer
Vice President, Mary Batcheller called the meeting to order at 4:00 PM, and a quorum was declared.
Order of Agenda
A motion was made by Jan Ulferts Stewart to approve the Order of the Agenda. Carlos Hawley Jr. seconded the motion; motion carried.
Minutes of December 18, 2018 Regular Meeting
Mary Dickson made a motion to approve the minutes of the December 18, 2018 meeting. Jan Ulferts Stewart seconded the motion; motion carried.
Minutes of January 15, 2018 Regular Meeting
Carlos Hawley Jr. made a motion to approve the minutes of the January 15, 2018 meeting. Mary Dickson seconded the motion; motion carried.
Staff updates and Staff development activities:
• It’s Soup Week at the Fargo Public Library! Sponsored by the Friends.
Upcoming Events & Programs (a partial and incomplete list):
• Fly Guy Fun: Based on the popular Children's book, join us for two sessions of Fly Guy fun. We'll share stories and activities, and we'll snack on some of Fly Guy's favorite - garbage! Kids ages 5 and up are invited to join.
• Sunday, Feb. 24 - Main Library at 2 p.m.
• Thursday, Feb. 28 - Dr. James Carlson Library at 2 p.m.
• Nerf Challenge: Teens and tweens ages 10 to 17 are invited. Pre-registration is required and may be completed online or by calling Children’s Services at 701.241.1495.
• Tuesday, Feb. 19 - Dr. James Carlson Library at 4 p.m.
• Thursday, Feb. 21 - Main Library at 4 p.m.
• French Film Festival: This series is a partnership with the NDSU Department of Modern Languages as they received a Tournées Film Festival award from the FACE Foundation (French-American Cultural Exchange) for this film festival series. All showings take place at the Main Library. Dates and titles of upcoming films in the series are:
• Tuesday, Feb. 19 at 6:30 p.m. - Fatima (2015)
• Tuesday, Feb. 26 at 6:30 p.m. - My Life as a Zucchini (2016)
• Thursday, Feb. 28 at 6:30 p.m. - Classic Film Selection: Jaguar (1967)
• Tuesday, March 5 at 6:30 p.m. - The Workshop (2017)
• Corner to Corner Crochet: Come join us to learn the basics of Corner to Corner crochet. Once you’ve learned the basic technique, you’ll be able to apply it to square and rectangle projects like blankets, dishcloths, and more. This class expands upon basic crochet skills. All materials will be provided. Pre-registration is required.
• Thursday, March 7 - Northport at 6:30 p.m.
• Saturday, March 9 - Dr. James Carlson Library at 10 a.m.
• Mar. 4 – Northern Narratives writing project submission end date. or teens (13+) and adults also continues with submissions accepted through March 4, 2019. Information is available on the library’s website.
• Jan. 7 - Mar. 3: Winter Read-A-Thon. Readers of all ages can find their perfect cold weather read during the Fargo Public Library’s annual Winter Read-a-Thon. Participants can pick up a book log at any Fargo Public Library location or print one from the website.
• Pre-Readers track titles of books read and Readers track time spent reading. Complete the front of the book log and return to any location to claim a prize. Continue on the back of the book log to earn a free book!
• Teens can turn in a completed book log to win a free book and be entered into the grand prize drawing.
• Adults can turn in a completed book log and get a FPL mug and also be entered into the grand prize drawing.
• During this year’s Winter Read-a-Thon, readers can bring in a non-perishable food or unused toiletry item. For each item donated, library patrons will receive up to $5 in fine forgiveness (including lost or damaged item fees).
• In addition, for every completed book log, patrons can receive up to $5 in fine forgiveness. Some restrictions apply. Please, no expired or opened/used items. Items will benefit Great Plains Food Bank, Gladys Ray Shelter, and Youthworks of North Dakota. Remember, children’s items no longer receive overdue fines (children’s materials can still incur lost or damaged item fees)!
• Feb. 23 – Main Library at 2:00 p.m.: Board Game Blowout! Try out a new game from the library’s collection or bring a favorite to play with family and friends. Join us for any of these family friendly Board Game Blowout events, where we will feature a new game each month in addition to having a variety of games available for free play. No pre-registration is required. This event is open to children, teens, and adults of all ages.
Notable Past events & programs (again, a partial list):
• Feb. 12: Valentine’s/Anti-Valentine’s Party.
• Jan. 16 – Main Library at 6:30 p.m.: Podcasting 101 with J.J. Gordon and Tucker Lucas. Patrons met the hosts of JJ Meets World. Well attended with 33 people of all ages in attendance.
• Jan. 25 – Main Library: Encore Performances of "Behind the Books: A Library Tour (& Murder Mystery)" Registration was once again full for this program.
• Jan. 26 – Dr. James Carlson Library: Tea Tasting: Attended by 15 people.
• Feb. 10 – Main Library: Hygge Cozy Afternoon. Attended by 18 people. A local TV news crew also was on hand to interview Librarian Jenilee Kanenwisher about the event.
Director Tim Dirks referred the Board to his written report in the Board Packet.
The library had 38,313 registered patrons for the month of January. Attendance was down 5% compared to January 2018. Program attendance was down 28% compared to January 2018. Volunteer hours were down 27% compared to January 2018. Internet signups were down 6% compared to January 2018. Print circulation was up 1.56% compared to January 2018. Nonprint circulation was up 10.25% compared to January 2018. Total circulation year to date is 85,118 circulations.
The year is 8% lapsed while the budget is 4.90% expended. There was $6,145 in incoming donations. Expenditures of donations totaled $3,181. Revenue is at $3,562.10 year to date.
Friends of the Library Report
No Friends report.
No unfinished business.
Registration Policy Draft
Director Tim Dirks referred the Board to the Registration Policy Draft in the Board Packet. Draft language was added for a Computer Access Card including the types of additional I.D.’s that would be accepted for this new card type and terms of card registration.
A motion was made by Carlos Hawley Jr. to approve the Registration Policy with the draft language as written. Mary Dickson seconded the motion; motion carried.
ODIN Statewide Databases Agreement
Director Tim Dirks referred the Board to the Online Dakota Information Network (ODIN) Participation Agreement in the Board packet. This agreement was signed last year and is being requested to approve again for July 1, 2019-June 30, 2020. Pricing is the same as the previous agreement.
A motion was made by Carrie Peterson to approve the Online Dakota Information Network (ODIN) Participation Agreement as presented to the Board. Carlos Hawley Jr. seconded the motion; motion carried.
Amended Library Bill of Rights
Director Tim Dirks referred the Board to the American Library Association (ALA) Library Bill of Rights in the Board packet. The ALA amended this document January 29, 2019. The Fargo Public Library follows this same Library Bill of Rights.
A motion was made by Mary Dickson to approve the amended Library Bill of Rights as presented to the Board. Scott Beaulier seconded the motion; motion carried.
Main Library Ten Year Anniversary Events
Director Tim Dirks referred the Board to the Main Library 10 Year Anniversary Events document in the Board Packet.
The slogan for the event is “A Decade of Growth!” Events include:
Don Quixote: What Makes the Modern Novel Modern with Carlos Hawley
• Tuesday April 23rd 7pm Main Library Community Room
• How poetry, industry, and empire coalesce around Miguel de Cervantes and give rise to fiction, literacy, and the modern novel.
Main Library Ten Year Anniversary Open House Celebration
• Monday April 29th 4pm – 7pm (Remarks at 5pm) Main Library Community Room
• Music from the Dave Ferreira Trio
• Refreshment from Mosaic Catering (Friends Donation)
Library Trivia Event
• Tuesday April 30th 6:30pm Main Library Community Room
William Kent Krueger Author Event & Book Signing
• Monday May 6th 7PM Main Library Community Room
No public comment.
Next Board Meeting
The next regular Board Meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, March 19, 2019 at 4:00 PM.
The meeting adjourned at 4:23 PM.