Fargo Public Library Board - June 18, 2019 Minutes
Regular Meeting: Tuesday, June 18, 2019
Board Members Present: Rachael Steenholdt, Mary Batcheller, Mary Dickson, Jan Ulferts-Stewart, Carlos Hawley Jr., Scott Beaulier
Board Members Absent: Carrie Peterson
Staff: Tim Dirks, Sunny Branick, Betsy Dauer, Amber Emery
President, Rachael Steenholdt called the meeting to order at 4:00 PM, and a quorum was declared.
Order of Agenda
A motion was made by Mary Dickson to approve the Order of the Agenda. Carlos Hawley Jr. seconded the motion; motion carried.
Minutes of May 21, 2019 Regular Meeting
Jan Ulferts-Stewart made a motion to approve the minutes of the May 21, 2019 meeting. Mary Dickson seconded the motion; motion carried.
Sunny Branick presented highlights from the library
Staff updates and Staff development activities:
• Cheryl is hiring two Pages for Main. They are reviewing applications.
• The new Technology Assistant LA III starts on June 17th.
Upcoming Events & Programs (a partial and incomplete list):
• June 19 at 2 p.m. – Main Library. Stomp Rockets. Participants will create their own paper rocket, and then launch it with a stomp pad! Will your rocket survive the launch, flight, and landing impact with its contents intact?! Presented by North Dakota Space Grant Program STEM Ambassadors. All materials provided. Pre-registration is required and will begin on May 22. This event is open to children and teens ages 9 to 15.
• June 21 at 2 p.m. – Main Library. Summer Solstice Scavenger Hunt. Learn about and experience Summer Solstice and Midsummer traditions from around the world as you complete a scavenger hunt around and inside the library on the longest day of the year. Scavenger hunt activities will include Midsummer crafts, snacks, and activities as well as exploring the library. Geared towards school-age children, but younger kids may also complete the scavenger hunt with the help of an adult. All materials will be provided and no pre-registration is required to attend.
• June 24 at 1 p.m. – Main Library. Red River Zoo Visit. The Earth is blue. The Earth is green. The Earth is home to living things! Alligators, Bears, Camels, and Deer – what amazing animals will the zoo bring to the library this year? Stop by the Main Library anytime between 1 and 3 p.m. to see some awesome animals, do a craft, and have a great time with zoo-themed activities! This event is open to families with children of all ages. All materials will be provided and no pre-registration is required to attend.
• June 26 at 6:30 p.m. – Dr. James Carlson Library. 3rd Rock from the Sun Rock Painting. Welcome to Earth, 3rd rock from the sun! Join us for earth rock painting at the library, where you can transform your favorite rock into your very own mini earth! Our planet is one of a kind, and so are you, so show off your artistic skills at this rocking event. This event is open to families with children of all ages. All materials will be provided and no pre-registration is required.
• June 28 at 2:00 p.m. – Main Library. Ready, Set, Grow! It’s not too hot, it’s not too cold. Planet Earth is just riiiiiight! And it’s the most perfect place in all of space to make beautiful things grow. Join us at the Ready, Set, Grow gardening program where you can get your little hands dirty by planting, make your minds grow big with learning about different growing techniques, and have a plantastic time! This event is open to families with children ages 4 and up. All materials will be provided and no pre-registration is required.
• June 20 at 2 p.m. – Northport Library. Spray Dye T-shirts. Get creative with spray fabric paint to make a tie- dye effect on a white t-shirt. All materials provided. Pre-registration required.
• Galactic Glow Games. Compete against your friends by playing some of your favorite games, glow in the dark style. Shoot for the stars with games like bowling, ring-toss, croquet, and many more. Wear your favorite glow in the dark or neon gear. Snacks and beverages will be provided. All materials provided. Pre-registration is required.
• June 25 at 2 p.m. – Dr. James Carlson Library
• June 27 at 2 p.m. – Northport Library
• Cupcakes in Space Wars. We’ll provide the cupcakes and decorating materials, you bring your out of this world ideas! Tweens and teens will create their very own space-themed cupcake masterpieces. Everyone’s a winner because they get to eat their creation, but will you be declared the Intergalactic Cupcake Champion?!?!
All materials provided. Pre-registration required.
• July 9 at 2 p.m – Dr. James Carlson Library
• July 11 at 2 p.m. – Northport Library
• June 22 at 10 a.m. – Main Library. Saturday Movie Marathon: Seventies Sci-Fi Films. Join us for a movie marathon of four science fiction films from the seventies. Come and go as you please, or stay for all four! Free popcorn!
• 10 a.m. Silent Running (1972) rated G
• 12 p.m. Westworld (1973) rated PG
• 2 p.m. Soylent Green (1973) rated PG
• 4 p.m. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) rated PG
• June 24 at 6:30 p.m. – Main Library. Spruce Up Your Space. Make more space in your life with this session on minimalism, organizing, and decluttering including Marie Kondo’s KonMari® method. Learn what questions to ask yourself as you sort and discard, how to deal with common blocks to organizing and downsizing, and maintaining your new organizational habits. Learn how you can incorporate various tips and habits in your life to conquer the clutter. No registration is required.
• Introduction to Meditation. Learn how to quiet your mind and relax into breathing and resting in the present with Dawn Morgan, certified meditation instructor and executive director of the Spirit Room. Meditation is easy to learn and a great way to come back to yourself. Each session is 45 minutes in length. For meditation, participants can either sit in chairs, or if you prefer to recline, please bring a yoga mat or towel. These classes are recommended for adults and no registration is required.
• June 20 at 10 a.m. – Main Library
• July 18 at 10 a.m. – Main Library
• Patriotic Paper Wreath. Want to beautify your holiday celebration with red, white and blue? Learn a new technique to make an easy paper wreath. Registration is required and opens June 3. Class is recommended for adults.
• June 25 at 6:30 p.m. – Main Library
• June 29 at 10 a.m. – Dr. James Carlson Library
• Restorative Yoga Sessions for Adults. The library continues to offer monthly, 90-minute “Restorative Yoga” classes for adults. Restorative yoga has potential benefits to every person, regardless of age, gender, or physical ability. Please bring a yoga mat or a large towel and wear comfortable clothing. These classes are recommended for adults and no registration is required.
• Monday, July 15 – Dr. James Carlson Library at 6 p.m.
• Monday, August 19 – Dr. James Carlson Library at 6 p.m.
• The Library’s Community Engagement activities are in full swing for the summer.
• June 18 – Police Department’s Community Picnic
• June 20 – Chamber After Hours
• June 23 – Streets Alive!
• Red River Market
• July 13
• Aug. 24
Events for All Ages
• Jun. 3 – Aug. 10. Summer Reading Program. A Universe of Stories. This summer, visit any of the three Fargo Public Library locations (Main Library, Dr. James Carlson Library, or Northport Library) and participate in our exciting Summer Reading Program for kids, teens and adults.
• Jun. 3 – Aug. 10. 2019 Fargo History Hunt. The Fargo History Hunt is back for 2019 with all different buildings! Take a peek into Fargo’s past. From June 3 to August 10, pick up a map at any Fargo Public Library location and follow the trail to 12 of downtown Fargo’s historic buildings. Use the clues provided to find answers to questions about each building, along with a jigsaw puzzle piece. Complete the questions and the puzzle and return to the library. Show a librarian your puzzle to be entered into a grand prize drawing. The puzzle is yours to keep! The Fargo History Hunt is once again made possible through a donation from the Friends of the Fargo Public Library. All ages are invited to participate. One puzzle/entry per person. Please note that some buildings are businesses with irregular hours.
Notable Past events & programs (again, a partial list):
• June 3 – All Locations. Buzz Lightyear Kick Off. 763 attendees
• June 7 – Rockin’ On and Spacin’ Out. 295 attendees
• Solar Storytime and Craft
• June 11 at 10 a.m. – Northport Branch. 73 attendees
• June 13 at 10 a.m. – Carlson Library
• June 15 at 10 a.m. – Main Library
• A Sky Full of Stories
• June 11 at 2 p.m. – Main Library
• June 12 at 2 p.m. – Northport Branch
• June 13 at 2 p.m. – Carlson Library
• June 4 – Main Library. Escape the Library. Three sessions and 32 attendees.
• Constellation Lamps.
• June 11 at 2 p.m. – Dr. James Carlson Library. 11 attendees
• June 13 at 2 p.m. – Main Library.
• May 22 at 7 p.m. – Main Library. Weather the Storm: How the 1957 Fargo Tornado Inspired a Musical. 23 attendees
• May Gardening Series. 62 attendees
• May 21 at 7 p.m. – Main Library. Microgreens & Sprouts. 18 attendees
• May 28 at 7 p.m. – Main Library. Pollinator Gardens. 17 attendees
• May 21 at 7 p.m. – Main Library. Worm Bin Composting: Easy Composting Indoors! 17 attendees
• May 28 at 7 p.m. – Main Library. Blossom Barter. 10 attendees
• June 6 at 6:30 p.m. – Main Library. Chasing the Moon and Moon Rocks. 55 attendees
• June 7 at 1:00 p.m. – Carlson. Family Movie: How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World. 75 attendees
Social Media for the FPL
• The library’s Facebook page currently has 4,510 “Likes.”
• The library’s Twitter account (@fargolibrary) has 1,059 Followers.
• The library’s Instagram account (@fargopubliclibrary) has 1,029 Followers.
Director Tim Dirks referred the Board to his written report in the Board Packet.
The library had 37,732 registered patrons for the month of May. Attendance was down 4% year to date. Program attendance was up 16% year to date and 44% compared to May 2018. Volunteer hours were down 11% year to date. Internet signups were down 14% year to date. Print circulation was up 4.63% year to date. Nonprint circulation was up 4.77% year to date. Total circulation year to date is 424,507 circulations.
The year is 42% lapsed while the budget is 38.46% expended. There was $6,508 in incoming donations. Expenditures of donations totaled $6,085. Revenue is at $20,934.19 year to date.
Friends of the Library Report
No Friends report.
Summer Reading Program Video
Children’s Services Manager, Amber Ember, presented the Summer Reading Program video.
Corporate Sponsorship Ad Hoc Committee
Director Dirks requested that Board members join an Ad Hoc committee for the Corporate Sponsorship project.
After discussion a motion was made by Scott Beaulier to establish an Ad Hoc committee for Corporate Sponsorship in which all Board members will participate. Carlos Hawley Jr. seconded the motion; motion carried.
No public comment.
Next Board Meeting
The next regular Board Meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, July 16, 2019 at 4:00 PM.
The meeting adjourned at 4:35 PM.