Fargo Public Library Board - September 17, 2019 Minutes
Regular Meeting: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 Minutes
Board Members Present: Rachael Steenholdt, Mary Batcheller, Jan Ulferts-Stewart, Carlos Hawley Jr.
Board Members Absent: Whitney Oxendahl, Scott Beaulier, Carrie Peterson
Staff: Tim Dirks, Sunny Branick, Betsy Dauer
President, Rachael Steenholdt called the meeting to order at 4:00 PM. Started with Staff Report due to no quorum. Mary Batcheller arrived during the staff report and a quorum was declared.
Betsy Dauer presented highlights from the library.
Staff updates and Staff development activities:
• Cheryl is hiring a new Library Associate I for Main and Lori is hiring for a new Library Associate I for the branches. Applications are being reviewed.
• The North Dakota Library Association Annual Conference is coming up at the end of the month. This year it is being held in West Fargo. We have about a dozen people attending and a handful are presenting.
Upcoming Events & Programs (a partial and incomplete list):
• 2019 International Week of the Deaf: American Sign Language Storytime. Friends from the North Dakota School for the Deaf will be our special guests at one week of our regularly scheduled Fall storytimes. We’ll learn what its like to use American Sign Language to communicate and share stories using signs. This event is open to all children ages 3 to 6 whether you are registered for Fall Storytime or not.
• Sept. 23 – Main Library at 11 a.m. & 6:30 p.m.
• Sept. 24 – Northport Branch at 11 a.m.
• Sept. 25 – Carlson Library at 11 a.m.
• Sept. 28. – Carlson Library at 1 p.m. 2019 UND Air Race Classic Team: The Frozen Force. Did you know that 2019 marked the 90th year of women’s air racing in the U.S.? Following in the footsteps of female aviation pioneers, a team from UND took part in the June 2019 Air Race Classic, flying from Jackson, TN to Welland, Ontario, Canada. In September, they will share their racing experience, explain how they became involved in aviation, and tell us what the future holds for this unique women’s sport. Kids can also make a clothespin airplane! All ages are invited to attend and no pre-registration is required.
• Libraries Dance! Whether you plie, twirl, or two step, you can learn from the best in town with our new dance series for kids. Fargo Public Library, along with Gasper’s School of Dance/F-M Ballet, will provide a fun-filled evening once a month at the Main Library downtown. We will listen to a story and then spend time moving and stretching while getting basic techniques and lessons on different types of dance. This dance series is open to children ages 3 to 12 years. No pre-registration is required.
• Oct. 1 – Main Library at 6:30 p.m. Spooky Spectacular Storytime and Ballet Class
• Oct. 8 – Main Library at 6:30 p.m.. Physics of Flight with the Concordia Science Academy. Kids in grades 4 – 6 are invited to investigate the science involved in flight and see how form affects function at this program led by staff from the Concordia Science Academy. Pre-registration is required for this event. All materials will be provided.
• Saturday, Oct. 12 at 11 a.m. – Carlson Library. Hurry! Hurry! Fire! Fire! The Fargo Fire Department is coming to the library! We will have a storytime and meet some REAL firefighters. We will learn what our heroic first responders do every day to make our community safer and a better place to live. They will go over some safety tips to use in your home and school while participating in Fire Prevention Week. A Fargo Fire Department engine and crew will also be on hand adding to our fun experience with true heroes! Families with children of all ages are welcome to attend and no pre-registration is required.
• Oreo Cookie Taste Test Challenge. How many different flavors of Oreos can you name? Put your skills to the test and challenge your peers as you taste and try to name several different flavors of Oreos. Medals will be awarded to the top 3 winners. All materials provided. Pre-registration is required. Register online or call Sara M at 701.298.6960 for more info.
• Sept. 17 – Dr. James Carlson Library at 4 p.m.
• Sept. 19 – Northport Library at 4 p.m.
• Leather Bookmarks. Design your own stamped leather bookmark using special mallets and stamps. Grades 6-12. All materials provided. Pre-registration required. Register online or call 701.476.5978 for more info.
• Sept. 24 at 4 p.m. – Dr. James Carlson Library
• Sept. 26 at 4 p.m. – Northport Library
• Frankentoys and Stuffed Animal Taxidermy. Wreck old toys to make your monstrous or delightful creation. All materials provided, all you need is your creativity and an aura of destruction. Ages 10-17. Pre-registration required. Register online or call 701.241.8295 for more info.
• Tuesday, Oct. 1 – Dr. James Carlson Library at 4 p.m.
• Thursday, Oct. 3 – Northport Library at 4 p.m.
• Sept. 17 – Main Library at 7 p.m. Guarding the Northland: 119th Wing, North Dakota Air National Guard Presentation. Learn about the North Dakota Air National Guard from its beginning in 1947, through the Happy Hooligan fighter era, to its current missions today. A 119th Wing representative will present an overview of the Fargo-based unit.
• Sept. 22 – Main Library at 2 p.m. Silver Wings, Flying Dreams: The Complete Story of a the Women Airforce Service Pilots Screening & Talk. This documentary highlights the bravery and sacrifices made by America’s female aviation heroes. Following will be a discussion with retired Air Force Lt. Col. Amanda Brandt, assistant professor with the UND School of Aerospace, who will discuss her role in a record-setting flight by an all-female air crew from the Grand Forks Air Force Base.
Other upcoming One Book, One Community events:
• Thursday, Sept. 26 – “The History of Florence Klingensmith” with Mark Peihl at the Main Library
• Sunday, Sept. 29 – “Carl Ben Eielson’s Story” presentation at the Main Library
• Monday, Oct. 28 – Author Keith O’Brien will visit as part of the One Book, One Community reading project and share his book Fly Girls: How Five Daring Women Defied All Odds and Made Aviation History. This event will be held at the Fargo Air Museum and is free & open to the public. This event and project is generously sponsored by the Friends of the Fargo Public Library.
• Fall Tea Tasting Series at the Dr. James Carlson Library. Explore some of the many unique teas available. Samples of 4 different teas from around the globe will be provided each month, along with brewing tips and relevant information on the background of that month’s selection. Bring a friend so you can sip tea and socialize. Program is recommended for adults. Pre-registration is required for all Tea Tasting sessions.
• Oct. 5 – Dr. James Carlson Library at 10 a.m.
• Sunday, Oct. 6 – The library’s annual Jazz Into Fall Sunday concert series starts.
• Adult Craft events for Sept. and Oct.: Bullet Journaling, a Craft Supply Swap, and Fairy Pumpkin Houses are the workshop topics.
Notable Past events & programs (again, a partial list):
• September Story Time: 158
• Northern Narratives 2019 Book Launch and Reception: 47
• Author Visit with Dr. Denise Lajimodiere (/lazh-mo-DEER/) featuring her latest book, Stringing Rosaries: The History, the Unforgivable, and the Healing of Northern Plains American Indian Boarding School Survivors: 30
• Colors and Culture of Ukraine with presenter Svetlana Grindeland:
• This event is co-sponsored with Cultural Diversity Resources and is part of the Welcoming Week FM event series.
Events for All Ages
• Offsite Events: 689
• Spacesuit Program: 100
Current Social Media Metrics
• Facebook Followers: 4,859
• Twitter Followers: 1,087
• Instagram Followers: 1,085
• Pinterest Followers: 869
Order of Agenda
A motion was made by Carlos Hawley Jr. to approve the Order of the Agenda. Mary Batcheller seconded the motion; motion carried.
Minutes of August 20, 2019 Regular Meeting
Mary Batcheller made a motion to approve the minutes of the August 20, 2019 meeting. Jan Ulferts Steward seconded the motion; motion carried.
Director Tim Dirks referred the Board to his written report in the Board Packet.
The library had 37,306 registered patrons for the month of August. Attendance was down 5% year to date. Program attendance was up 23% year to date. Volunteer hours were down 7% year to date. Internet signups were down 14% year to date. Print circulation was up 3.19% year to date. Nonprint circulation was up 1.76% year to date. Total circulation year to date is 718,720 circulations.
The year is 67% lapsed while the budget is 63.48% expended. There was $25* incoming donations, updated from the Board Packet. Expenditures of donations totaled $884. Revenue is at $37,042.71 year to date.
Friends of the Library Report
No Friends report.
No unfinished business.
Director Tim Dirks referred the Board to the Statement of Concern about Library Resources in the Board Packet regarding the title Siege: Trump Under Fire by Michael Wolff. He reviewed the statement from the concerned citizen and the recommendation by the Statement of Concern Committee.
A motion was made by Carlos Hawley Jr. to keep the item of concern, Siege: Trump Under Fire by Michael Wolff in the library collection per the Committee’s recommendation. Jan Ulferts Stewart seconded the motion; motion carried.
No public comment.
Next Board Meeting
The next regular Board Meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, October 15, 2019 at 4:00 PM.
The meeting adjourned at 5:00 PM.