Fargo Public Library Board - July 21, 2020 Minutes
Regular Meeting: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 Minutes
Board Members Present: Rachael Steenholdt, Mary Batcheller, Carrie Peterson, Whitney Oxendahl, Carlos Hawley Jr., Kristen Schipper
Board Members Absent: Scott Beaulier
Staff: Tim Dirks, Sunny Branick, Betsy Dauer
Others Present: Tony Gehrig
President, Rachael Steenholdt called the meeting to order at 4:00 PM, and a quorum was declared. This meeting was attended both in person and virtually.
Order of Agenda
A motion was made by Carlos Hawley Jr. to approve the Order of the Agenda. Kristen Schipper seconded the motion; motion carried.
Minutes of June 16, 2020 Regular Meeting
Carrie Peterson made a motion to approve the minutes of the June 16, 2020 meeting. Scott Beaulier seconded the motion; motion carried.
Sunny Branick presented a few highlights of staff updates and events.
Staff updates and Staff development activities:
• Page positions – Hiring freeze lifted. Job post closes 07/14/2020.
All in-person programs have been suspended indefinitely. For a full list of all upcoming FPL activities visit FargoLibrary.org
Upcoming Events & Programs (a partial and incomplete list):
• Jul 12 – The Traveling Lantern Theatre presents: Legends and Myths from Mount Olympus. The Traveling Lantern Theatre Company (TLTC) will be offering a virtual performance this summer featuring Legends and Myths from Mount Olympus. Register to view online anytime between Sunday, July 12 at 7 p.m. and Sunday, July 19 at 7 p.m. During this interactive event, children will become the mountains and the wind as they watch Icarus and Daedalus fly free on wax wings. They'll also help tell the story as they witness Ceyx and Alcyone’s love morph into fantasy so they can stay together for all time, and stave off evil with bravery and courage as Perseus battles the snake-headed Medusa and ultimately turns her into stone. Registration with email address is required for this event.
• Ju1 15 – Virtual Board Games. Meet up online to play an easy board game. We’ll start with a virtual meeting and then get the link to start playing. Ages 11-18. Pre-registration is required. Register online or call 701.241.8295 for more information on how to participate.
• Jul 20 – Dragon Eggs. Feeling crafty? We have just the thing! This summer, you can pick up a craft kit to go! These crafts are recommended for adults and all supplies and instructions are provided. Registration is required. Register online or call 701.241.1492.
• Jul 16 – Stay-at-Home Book Party. Participants share what they have been reading on the library's Facebook event page and our librarians recommend new reads to participants.
• Jul 21 to Jul 23 – Pairs Well With. It's kind of a virtual Silent Reading Party. This event is also on our Facebook page. Participants tell the librarians what kind of beverage they are drinking and the librarians pair it with a suggested beverage. Or, if participants already have a book, then the librarians suggest a beverage to go with the book.
Participants are asked to share a picture of the beverage and the book pairing on our Facebook page (this is optional).
• Jun 1 – Fargo History Hunt. Pick up a map with a list of questions to answer at any Fargo Public Library location, or print one from our web page. All history-related destinations will be located outdoors and include some of the markers, monuments and statues around town that help tell the unique story of Fargo. Opportunities are available to earn multiple entries in the grand prize drawing for each member of a group. Participants who complete only the walking portion of the map and answer the corresponding questions receive one entry. Complete the entire route, including the drivable portion, and answer the questions to receive a second entry. Take selfies at the locations and tag the library on social media (#FargoHistoryHunt) to earn yet another entry! The final difference in the program this year is that we will be foregoing the puzzle pieces to avoid contact. Get outdoors this year to find Fargo’s history all around us!
Past Events & Programs (a partial and incomplete list):
• June 24 to Jul 11 – StoryWalk featuring Alison Murry’s picture book Hare and Tortoise. Get outside and take a stroll through the plaza between the Downtown Fargo Public Library and the Fargo Civic Center to enjoy a StoryWalk with Alison Murry’s picture book Hare and Tortoise. The StoryWalk will be in place Wednesday, June 24 to Saturday, July 11, and features a series of signs using the art and words from the book. This family-friendly activity is spread out to encourage participants to read, move and enjoy the outdoors. The original StoryWalk project was created by Anne Ferguson of Montpelier, Vt. and developed in collaboration with the Kellogg-Hubbard Library to promote literacy.
Director Tim Dirks referred the Board to his written report in the Board Packet.
No unfinished business.
Review of Main Merchandising Experience Project
Project is complete and came in under budget. In 2019 the Board had approved an estimated amount of $49,000 for the project. The final amount was $33,295.
The library had 42,022 registered patrons, including 275 new registrations for the month of June. Curbside pickup was available for the month of June. Program attendance was 2,207 for virtual and passive programming. Circulation was down 62.40% compared to June of the previous year. Digital content was up 40.84% compared to June of the previous year. Overall circulation year to date is 328,015.
The year is 50% lapsed while the budget is 43.64% expended. There were no incoming donations. Expenditures of donations totaled $79,843, which included moving the Stensland donation of $61,899.14 to the endowment fund. Revenue is at $10,335.51 year to date.
Friends of the Library Report
No Friends report.
No public comment.
Next Board Meeting
The next regular Board Meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, August 18, 2020 at 4:00 PM.
The meeting adjourned at 4:46 PM. Annual meeting followed.