Fargo Public Library Board - October 20, 2020 Minutes
Regular Meeting: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 Minutes
Board Members Present: Mary Batcheller, Rachael Steenholdt, Whitney Oxendahl, Carlos Hawley Jr., Scott Beaulier, Carrie Peterson, Kristen Schipper
Board Members Absent:
Staff: Tim Dirks, Sunny Branick, Betsy Dauer
President Mary Batcheller called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m. and a quorum was declared. This meeting was attended both in person and virtually.
Order of Agenda
A motion was made by Kristen Schipper to approve the Order of the Agenda. Carlos Hawley Jr. seconded the motion; motion carried.
Minutes of September 15, 2020 Regular Meeting
Carlos Hawley Jr. made a motion to approve the minutes of the September 15, 2020 meeting. Kristen Schipper seconded the motion; motion carried.
Sunny Branick presented a few highlights of staff updates and events.
Staff updates and Staff development activities:
• Last Page at Main has been hired. Say hello to Isabel.
All in-person programs have been suspended indefinitely. For a full list of all upcoming FPL activities visit FargoLibrary.org
Upcoming Events & Programs (a partial and incomplete list):
• Baby Rhyme Time Online. Babies ages birth to 18 months are invited to join us in a GoTo Meeting for baby storytimes. Share songs, fingerplays, short books, rhythms, and rhymes with your baby while introducing them to books and the library! Pre-registration is required and will open Oct. 1. Please note: this program will be conducted online. Participants will receive an email with information on how to log into the session, so it is necessary to provide an email address when registering.
- Tuesday, Oct. 20 at 6:30 p.m.
- Thursday, Oct. 22 at 10 a.m.
• Oct. 22 – GoTo Meeting at 11 a.m. What's New at NASA? Exciting new missions are taking place within the U.S. space program, and much more is in store. In fact, NASA predicts that 2021 will be one of their busiest years yet! Find out about current and future missions and learn what they hope to accomplish when NASA Education Specialist Steven Smith joins us for a live virtual presentation on Thursday, Oct. 22 at 11 a.m. This event is most appropriate for kids ages 5 and older. Questions are encouraged and may be submitted in advance by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or join in the chat on the day of the presentation. The program will be conducted via GoToMeeting and pre-registration is required. Participants will receive an email with information on how to log in to the session, so it is necessary to provide an email address when registering. For more information, call Children’s Services at 701-241-1495.
• Crafts to Go for Kids! It’s time to get crafty again! Crafts To Go for Kids will be available for pickup twice a month. Children up to age 12 are welcome to register online for a craft packet. Then stop by one of the three Fargo Public Libraries locations during the designated weeks to pick up a craft packet to take home. Pre-registration is required and will open two weeks prior to each session. Please note: this a take home project only. The same craft will be available at each location. Limit 1 craft per child, while supplies last.
- Oct. 26 – Bat Pom Pom Launcher Craft
• Oct. 21 – FPL and Faro Parks District Facebook Pages at 10 a.m. StoryWalk®. In partnership, the Fargo Public Library, the Fargo Park District, and the Fargo Park District Foundation are pleased to announce the installation and opening of a permanent StoryWalk® at Brunsdale Park (1702 27th Ave. S.) in south Fargo. A virtual grand opening event is set for Wednesday, Oct. 21, starting at 10 a.m. on both the Fargo Public Library’s and Fargo Park District’s Facebook pages.
Located along the walking path on the west side of Brunsdale Park, the StoryWalk® is a series of permanent signs designed to connect reading and learning with physical activity. The first walk features the art and words from the book “Move” by Steve Jenkins and Robin Page. This self-paced, family-friendly activity is spread out to encourage residents of all ages to read, move, and enjoy the outdoors. Featured books will change every few months. StoryWalk® is a free activity available to residents during regular park hours.
Fargo’s StoryWalk® project was made possible with support from the Fargo Public Library, the Fargo Park District Foundation and the Fargo Park District Foundation Matching Grant Program.
The opening is set for Wednesday, Oct. 21, at 10 a.m. at Brunsdale Park. Due to the need for social distancing, the opening will be a Facebook Live session streamed on the library’s Facebook page instead of a large gathering.
• Nov. 1 –Civic Plaza. StoryWalk®. Get outside this Winter and enjoy a stroll through the plaza between the Downtown Fargo Public Library and the Fargo Civic Center, while reading Snowmen at Night, a picture book by Caralyn Buehner. The story will be spread out on signs to encourage literacy skills, movement, and enjoying the outdoors with family. *Please note that the StoryWalk® will remain in the Plaza through the end of December weather permitting. The StoryWalk® Project was created by Anne Ferguson of Montpelier, VT and developed in collaboration with the Kellogg-Hubbard Library. Storywalk® is a registered service mark owned by Ms. Ferguson.
• Nov. 7 – GoTo Meeting at 12p.m. and 3p.m. Escape the Library: Online Escape Rooms. Are you frightfully clever? Is there no riddle that can stump you? Is there no safe you can’t crack? Well, we have a challenge for you! Join us anytime on Saturday, Nov. 7 between 12 and 3 p.m. for Escape the Library! Online. This program is modeled after the popular Escape Room concept, and is for children ages 6-12. Pre-register for this program to test your wits. Pre-registration will open 2 weeks prior to each session. Please note: you will be sent the Escape Room via an email link so you must have a working email address to participate in this online program.
• Crafts to Go for Teens! Area teens are invited pick up a special craft to make at home on the 2nd and 4th Monday of the month from September 28 – December 14. Craft Pick up will be at the Children’s desk at the Main Library, and the Circulation desks at the Northport and Carlson Branches. 1 craft per teen. Due to limited supplies, there is a limit of 6 per family. Open for teens age 11-18. Pre-registration is required. Registration will open 2 weeks before each craft is dispensed. Register online or contact Bree at 701.476.5978 for more info.
- Oct. 26 – Glowing Mummy Hand
- Nov. 9 – Clay Owl Magnet
• Nov. 10 – Online at 7 p.m. Y.A. Virtual Book Club: The Fountains of Silence. This is a quarterly book club designed for those ages 15-20. However, all teens and adults are welcome! This fall's title is The Fountains of Silence by Ruta Sepetys. Register online or contact Sara at 701.298.6960 for information or for a copy of the book. Audio and ebook versions are available via Overdrive.
• Crafts To Go for Adults! Crafts To Go are the perfect thing when you're feeling crafty! Register online, then stop by one of the 3 Fargo Public Library locations Monday – Friday of the designated week to pick up a craft packet to bring home. Crafts are recommended for adults. Registration is required and opens 2 weeks before each craft.
- Oct. 26 – Rustic Wood Slice Painting
• Trivia Events This Fall. Test your knowledge with our virtual library trivia events this fall! Gather your household or call up your friends to form your team and join us for an evening on online trivia from the comfort and safety of your own home. Space for these events is limited; pre-registration is required. Register online. Participants will receive an email the day before the event with details regarding the virtual sign-in. For details, contact Megan at 701.241.1492. Upcoming dates and topics:
• Wednesday, Nov. 4 – Library and Literature
• Oct. 22 – Discord at 6:30 p.m. Virtual Board Games. We’ll meet-up in Discord and then head over to Boardgamearena.com to play some games. Join us for Classic/Beginner games at 6:30 p.m., and at 7 p.m. we’ll break into Nerd Alert and Classic groups depending on interest. Ages 13 & up. Pre-registration with an email address is required. Register online or contact Sarah at 701.241.8295.
• Oct. 15. – Inktober at the Library. This year, the Fargo Public Library will showcase local Inktober artists! By using the hashtag #FPLInktober, your artwork will be featured on the library’s official Facebook and Instagram pages. Mondays in October will feature Inktober challenges from the previous week. Thursdays will showcase standout participating artists. The digital showcase is open to all ages – kids, teens and adults. For further details, contact Allison Bauers at 701.298.6910. For more information on Inktober, check out www.inktober.com.
After October, artists will be invited to display their work at the downtown library’s gallery (limit one piece per artist). Submitted artwork should be inspired by one of the Inktober prompts. Artwork must be delivered to the downtown Main Library by November 8. The library can print any digital artwork measuring 8.5” x 11” (or smaller). Registration opens October 15 and closes November 8.
Director Tim Dirks added that, with City Administration guidance, the library has reduced hours open to the public. The library will close at 5pm on Wednesday and Thursday and will be closed on Sundays until further notice. Masks are now required in all City facilities, including the library. Contingency plans are being made in case the situation worsens.
Director Tim Dirks referred the Board to his written report in the Board Packet.
No unfinished business.
Director Tim Dirks referred the Board to the Statement of Concern and Statement of Concern Committee Recommendation in the Board Packet. The item of concern is The Next President. The committee recommendation was to retain the item, Director Tim Dirks agreed with the committee.
A motion was made by Carlos Hawley Jr. to retain the item The Next President as recommended. Scott Beaulier seconded the motion; motion carried.
Annual Impact Report Document
Director Tim Dirks had a physical copy of the 2019 Annual Impact Report to give to and discuss with the Board. Since the meeting was attended virtually by all Board members the Impact Report was tabled and will be added to the November 17, 2020 Library Board meeting. A copy of the Impact Report will be mailed to all Board members.
The Library had 37,433 registered patrons for the month of September. Attendance was 1,390, which includes virtual and passive programming. Circulation was down 16.19% compared to September of the previous year. Overall circulation year to date is 519,494.
There was $250 of incoming donations. There was $396 expenditures of donations. The year is 75% lapsed while the budget is 69.21% expended. Revenue is at $13,880.91 year to date.
Friends of the Library Report
No Friends report.
No public comment.
Next Board Meeting
The next regular Board Meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, November 17, 2020 at 4 p.m.
The meeting adjourned at 4:26 p.m.