Fargo Public Library Board - December 21, 2021 Minutes
Regular Meeting: Tuesday, December 21, 2021 Minutes
Board Members Present: Carlos Hawley Jr., Carrie Peterson, Kristen Schipper, Jenna Reno, Amy Ouren
Board Members Absent: Scott Beaulier, Rachael Steenholdt
Staff: Tim Dirks, Megan Richardson, Betsy Dauer
Vice President Carlos Hawley Jr. called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m. and a quorum was declared. This meeting was attended virtually and in person.
Order of Agenda
A motion was made by Kristen Schipper to approve the Order of the Agenda. Jenna Reno seconded the motion; motion carried.
Minutes of November 16, 2021 Regular Meeting
Jenna Reno made a motion to approve the minutes of the November 16, 2021 meeting. Kristen Schipper seconded the motion; motion carried.
Megan Richardson presented a few highlights of staff updates and events.
• Starting the hiring process for LAIII, Collection Development/Technical Services Manager, and Librarian I positions
Upcoming Featured Events & Programs (for a full list of all upcoming FPL activities, visit FargoLibrary.org). All programs are subject to change due to COVID numbers.
• New Year’s Party to Go
• Christmas Vacation Drive-In Movie Night, December 28, 6:00pm, Main Library
• Lego Mania Design Contest, December 30, 2:00pm, Main Library
• Up Close with the James Webb Space Telescope, January 15, 2:00pm
• Virtual Escape Room, December 28, 11:00am
• Teen Time at Carlson, January 4 & 18, 3:30-5 pm
• EBook help session, January 6, 6:30pm, Main Library.
• Silent Reading Party, January 16, 2:00pm, Drumconrath Brewing
• Book Clubs
-Sense of Place, January 6 – I was Their American Dream by Malaka Gharib
-Diverse Perspectives, January 13 – The Line Becomes a River by Francisco Cantu
-Classics Book Club, January 19 – Dune by Frank Herbert
• Winter Read-A-Thon 2022 theme is “Get Smitten with Reading!” For all ages, this program runs from Jan. 3 – March 6, 2022.
• Winter Relaxation Program, January 22, 10:00am, Carlson Library. Treat yourself to some winter relaxation by creating a Zen garden, doing a cross-stitch pattern, and practicing mindfulness with chocolate. Open to teens and adults. Registration is required and opens January 8.
Director Tim Dirks referred the Board to his written report in the Board Packet and gave a library covid update.
No unfinished business.
Collection Development Policy Review
Director Tim Dirks referred the Board to the Collection Development Policy in the Board Packet. No changes were recommended for this review.
A motion was made by Kristen Schipper to approve the Collection Development Policy as is. Amy Ouren seconded the motion; motion carried.
Registration Policy Draft Review
Director Tim Dirks referred the Board to the Registration Policy draft in the Board Packet. Several changes were recommended including: expiry date lengthened to five years for standard library cards and three years for organizational cards, accept shelter ID’s for computer access cards, and individuals must come into the library and show an acceptable picture ID to renew a library card.
A motion was made by Jenna Reno to approve the Registration Policy as drafted. Kristen Schipper seconded the motion; motion carried.
The Library had 28,903 registered patrons for the month of November. Program attendance was 1,578. Circulation was up 23.18% compared to November of the previous year. Overall circulation year to date is 783,684.
There was $481 of incoming donations. There was $2,839 expenditures of donations. The year is 92% lapsed while the budget is 87.46% expended. Revenue is at $17,820.13 year to date.
Friends of the Library Report
No Friends report.
Christopher Coen spoke about where to find the Fargo Public Library’s policies on the website. In particular, he spoke about the Access to Materials policy stating, “The library will not restrict access to library materials under the assumption that certain materials may be “harmful” to minors”. Mr. Coen wanted to know if a Statement of Concern ever ruled in favor of removing an item from the collection.
Next Board Meeting
The next regular Board Meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, January 18, 2021 at 4 p.m.
The meeting adjourned at 4:21 p.m.