Fargo Public Library Board - March 16, 2021 Minutes
Regular Meeting: Tuesday, March 16, 2021 Minutes
Board Members Present: Rachael Steenholdt, Scott Beaulier, Kristen Schipper
Board Members Absent: Mary Batcheller, Carlos Hawley Jr., Whitney Oxendahl, Carrie Peterson
Staff: Tim Dirks, Sunny Branick, Betsy Dauer
Vice President Rachael Steenholdt called the meeting to order at 4:05 p.m. A quorum was not present. A meeting was held though no action items were acted on.
Order of Agenda
Agenda not acted on.
Minutes of February 16, 2021 Regular Meeting
Minutes not acted on.
Sunny Branick presented a few highlights of staff updates and events.
Staff updates and Staff development activities:
• LAI Position at Branches: The position is in the hiring process currently.
• LAII Position at Main: The position is in the hiring process currently.
• Sunny Branick accepted the LAII position at Carlson and started March 8th
All in-person programs have been suspended indefinitely. For a full list of all upcoming FPL activities visit FargoLibrary.org
Upcoming Events & Programs (a partial and incomplete list):
• Mar. 17 – Virtual at 12:00 p.m. Denali’s Dinosaurs.
• Battle of the Books Tournament.
-Mar. 15 to Mar. 28: Round 2 voting
-Mar. 29 to Apr. 11: Round 3 voting
• Crafts to Go for Kids!
-Mar. 22 - Paper Plate Dragons
-Apr. 12 - Nature Suncatcher Windchimes
-Apr. 26 - Caterpillar Clothes Pin
• Apr. 10 – Virtual. Paws for Reading.
• Storytime To Go.
-March 29 – Moo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra Boynton
-April 5 – Sheep in a Jeep by Nancy Shaw
-April 19 – Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems
• Crafts to Go for Teens.
-Mar. 22 – Stenciled Tote Bag
-Apr. 12 – Wooden Chalkboard Magnets
-Apr. 26 – Mini Seashell Mobile
• Seed Library for Spring 2021. Try out some seeds for free. Please note: This year, seed packets are available at all three library locations.
• Spice Club: A Take and Make Cooking Club
-February 15 – 22: Caraway
-March 15 – 22: Sumac
• Crafts to Go for Adults.
-Mar. 22 – Amethyst Soap
-Apr. 12 – Tissue Paper Painting
-Apr. 26 – Piñata Party Favors
• Mar. 25 – Virtual Author Event at 6:30 p.m.: "The Fargo Fire of 1893" with Author Danielle Teigen.
• Virtual Movie Discussion Group.
-Mar. 16 – The Oscar Awards
• Mar. 23 – Online at 6:30 p.m. Houseplant Q&A with Don Kinzler.
• Mar. 30 – Virtual at 7:00 p.m. Online Presentation: "Youth in Revolt: Alexander Hamilton and Coming of Age in the American Revolution."
• Mar. 31-Apr. 28 – Main Library. Alexander Hamilton Exhibit.
• Book by Mail service.
Director Tim Dirks referred the Board to his written report in the Board Packet and gave a library covid update. Staff have started scheduling vaccinations and no staff are currently in quarantine.
Director’s Review Committee meeting was held February 18. Attended by Library Board members, City of Fargo Director of Human Resources, and Assistant City Administrator Michael Redlinger. An update was given on what was discussed and it was stated when the committee is ready they will bring the proposal to the Board for action.
Access to Materials Policy Review and Art Display and Acquisition Policy Review were not discussed due to no quorum present.
The Library had 30,682 registered patrons for the month of February. Attendance was 2,259, which includes virtual and passive programming. Circulation was down 27.81% compared to February of the previous year. Overall circulation year to date is 113,787.
There was $741 of incoming donations. There was $83 expenditures of donations. The year is 17% lapsed while the budget is 17.12% expended. Revenue is at $1,242.86 year to date.
Vice President Rachael Steenholdt asked for an update on how being fine free was going. Director Tim Dirks stated that when the children’s department went fine free there was in increase in circulation of children’s items. The anticipation is that the library as a whole going fine free will follow the same trend. He noted that it has been a time saver for staff so it is a “win-win”.
Friends of the Library Report
No Friends report. Director Tim Dirks stated the Friends had approved financial support for the Northern Narratives project and offered thanks to them for their continued support.
No public comment.
Next Board Meeting
The next regular Board Meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, April 20, 2021 at 4 p.m. All action items from this meeting will be moved to the April 20 agenda.
The meeting adjourned at 4:30 p.m.