Fargo Public Library Board - May 18, 2021 Minutes
Regular Meeting: Tuesday, May 18, 2021 Minutes
Board Members Present: Mary Batcheller, Rachael Steenholdt, Carrie Peterson, Whitney Oxendahl
Board Members Absent: Scott Beaulier, Kristen Schipper, Carlos Hawley Jr.
Staff: Tim Dirks, Megan Richardson, Betsy Dauer
President Mary Batcheller called the meeting to order at 4:03 p.m. and a quorum was declared. This meeting was attended virtually.
Order of Agenda
A motion was made by Carry Peterson to approve the Order of the Agenda. Rachael Steenholdt seconded the motion; motion carried.
Minutes of April 20, 2021 Regular Meeting
Rachael Steenholdt made a motion to approve the minutes of the April 20, 2021 meeting. Carrie Peterson seconded the motion; motion carried.
Megan Richardson, the new staff liaison, presented a few highlights of staff updates and events.
Staff updates and Staff development activities:
• LAII Position at Main – Dani Leapaldt’s start date was May 17.
• LAII Position at Branches – Sunny Branick has accepted a position as branch librarian at Kansas City Public Library. The posting for his position closed Monday, May 17.
Outdoor in-person programs are starting to be planned for summer. Most events are still occurring virtually. For a full list of all upcoming FPL activities visit FargoLibrary.org
Upcoming Events & Programs (a partial and incomplete list):
• Late Spring and Summer StoryWalks®
• Tails and Tales at the Red River Zoo. Kick off the Fargo Public Library’s Summer Reading Challenge by visiting some amazing animal friends at the Red River Zoo! The Fargo Public Library, in partnership with the Red River Zoo, will provide free admission for children ages 0-14* to the zoo on Monday, June 7th from 11-2pm. All ages are welcome to attend. *Admission for Adults and Teens (15+) will cost $11.25 per person.
• Continental Crafts To Go For Kids. Crafts to Go for Kids goes around the world this summer by featuring animal crafts. Twice a month kids, ages 12 and younger, can sign up to receive a Craft to Go packet.
• Jeff Quinn’s Reading Safari Magic Show for Kids and Families. Magician Jeff Quinn returns to the Fargo Public Library with another adventurous, fun-filled, wild show Thursday, June 17, at the Civic Center!
• Crafts to Go for Teens: June 14 - Lego Bookmarks.
• Pairs Well With Kits Featuring Thunder Coffee. A link to the video tutorial will be emailed out May 25 and posted on the library's Facebook page May 26.
• Virtual Author Event: “Forum Communications Company: A Narrative History 1980-2018” with author Jack Zaleski.
• New Book Club! Diverse Perspectives Book Club. The first online session is June 10 and will discuss How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi.
• New Book Club! Summer Garden Book Club. The first session is June 15 and the featured title is The Heirloom Garden by Viola Shipman.
• More Book Clubs.
-Classics Book Club, May 19 – The Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan
-History Book Club, May 25 – Battlesgrounds by H.R. McMaster
-Tea Time Book Club, June 14 – The Lost Apothecary by Sarah Penner.
-The Tea Time Book Club will be starting two meetings this month – one virtual and one outdoors at the Dr. James Carlson branch.
• Crafts to Go for Adults: June 14 Bookish Bracelet.
• Online Trivia for Adults & Teens: Books. Monday, May 24, starting at 7 p.m.
• Spring Plant Swap. Happening June 1, at 6:30 p.m. at the Library Learning Garden
• Virtual Pet Show & Tell with a Game of Bingo. June 9
• Summer Reading Program. The theme for 2021 – Tails & Tales – celebrates animal antics with a summer filled with exciting stories, events, and activities! This summer the Fargo Public Library is using online software called Beanstack for children and families to track their reading. Beginning May 25 all ages are welcome visit fargolibrary.beanstack.org or download the Beanstack app to pre-register.
Director Tim Dirks referred the Board to his written report in the Board Packet and gave a library covid update. The library will be open standard summer hours as of June 1, 2021. Conversations are ongoing in regards to services that have been on hold due to covid, such as meeting rooms and furniture placement. Will be bringing the face covering policy to the Board at the next meeting for possible elimination.
Director’s Review Committee
President Mary Batcheller gave an overview of the last Directors Review Committee meeting. After some discussion, it was agreed upon that the committee would continue and finalize a written procedure and bring that back to the Board as a whole. The next meeting is currently unscheduled.
Face Covering Policy Draft
Director Tim Dirks referred the Board to the Face Covering Policy in the Board Packet. The recommendation, per the updated CDC guidelines, was removal of the requirement of wearing a face covering while at outdoor library events and programs.
A motion was made by Rachael Steenholdt to approve the Face Covering Policy with recommended change. Carrie Peterson seconded the motion; motion carried.
Confidentiality of Library Records Policy Review
Director Tim Dirks referred the Board to the Confidentiality of Library Records Policy in the Board Packet. No changes were originally recommended in the packet though Director Tim Dirks noted in the meeting that he would recommend removal of the words “and fines paid” in the last paragraph as fines are no longer charged.
A motion was made by Mary Batcheller to approve the Confidentiality of Library Records Policy with the recommended change. Rachael Steenholdt seconded the motion; motion carried.
Electronic Communication Review
Director Tim Dirks referred the Board to the Electronic Communication Policy in the Board Packet. No changes were recommended.
A motion was made by Mary Batcheller to approve the Electronic Communication Policy as is. Rachael Steenholdt seconded the motion; motion carried.
The Library had 30,238 registered patrons for the month of April. Attendance was 2,573, which includes virtual and passive programming. Circulation was up 187.82% compared to April of the previous year. Overall circulation year to date is 253,908.
There was $2,050 of incoming donations. There was $183 expenditures of donations. The year is 33% lapsed while the budget is 31.13% expended. Revenue is at $4,017.48 year to date.
Friends of the Library Report
No Friends report.
No public comment.
Next Board Meeting
The next regular Board Meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 4 p.m.
Director Tim Dirks asked the Board if they would like to go back to in person meetings or stay virtual, or a combination of both. It was agreed to do a combination of in person and virtual. Director Tim Dirks asked Board members to let him know by replying to the Board Packet email how they would be attending.
The meeting adjourned at 4:44 p.m.