Fargo Public Library Board - October 19, 2021 Minutes
Regular Meeting: Tuesday, October 19, 2021 Minutes
Board Members Present: Scott Beaulier, Carlos Hawley Jr., Rachael Steenholdt, Kristen Schipper, Jenna Reno
Board Members Absent: Carrie Peterson
Staff: Tim Dirks, Megan Richardson, Betsy Dauer
President Scott Beaulier called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m. and a quorum was declared. This meeting was attended virtually and in person.
Whitney Oxendahl departed from the Library Board and her spot will be filled by Amy Ouren who will join us in November.
Order of Agenda
A motion was made by Carlos Hawley Jr. to approve the Order of the Agenda. Jenna Reno seconded the motion; motion carried.
Minutes of September 21, 2021 Regular Meeting
Kristen Schipper made a motion to approve the minutes of the September 21, 2021 meeting. Carlos Hawley Jr. seconded the motion; motion carried.
Megan Richardson presented a few highlights of staff updates and events.
• Working on hiring a Processing Clerk for the Technical Services Department. Offer is out pending background check.
Community Engagement Events:
• We now have a partnership with Job Service North Dakota. Once a month, FPL presents on library resources to aid in job searching and career growth such as computer access, resume resources, and training databases such as Knowledge City.
Upcoming Featured Events & Programs (for a full list of all upcoming FPL activities, visit FargoLibrary.org). All programs are subject to change due to COVID numbers.
• Recognizing Reptiles, October 21, 1:30pm, Main Library.
• Spooky Science, October 22, Main Library.
-11:00 am – Grades 1-3
-1:00 pm – Grades 4-6
• Libraries Dance: Spooky Ballet, October 26, 6:30pm.
• Pumpkin Decorating.
-October 20, 6pm – Dr. James Carlson Library
-October 21, 4pm – Main Library
• Teen Time
-Tuesdays, November 2 – December 14 from 3:30-5 p.m. at the Dr. James Carlson Library
• Murder and Mayhem Trivia, October 27, 7pm.
• eBook Help Session, November 4, 6:30pm, Main Library.
• Beaded Rope Necklace Class, November 6, 1pm, Main Library.
• Silent Reading Party @ Drekker Brewing Company, November 7, 2pm.
• Classic Gangster Film Series, Main Library.
-November 7: Little Caesar (1931)
-November 14: Angels with Dirty Faces (1938)
-November 28: Key largo (1948)
-December 5: White Heat (1949)
• Book Clubs.
-History Book Club, October 26 – Why did Europe Conquer the World? By Philip T Hoffman
-Sense of Place, November 4 – If I Had Your Face by Frances Cha
-Tea Time Book Club, November 8 – Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia
-Senior Book Club, October 19 – Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate
-Classics Book Club, November 17 – House Made of Dawn by N. Scott Momaday
• One Book, One Community Author visit with Anton Treuer –Oct. 26, 7pm at Knutson Center Centrum at Concordia College. As part of the One Book, One Community event series, author Anton Treuer will give an author talk and discuss his book Everything You Wanted to Know About Indians but Were Afraid to Ask Tuesday. The event will also be streamed live to the One Book, One Community Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/1book1communityfmwf) and on Concordia’s site as well.
-Special thanks to the sponsors of this year's community reading project: the Minnesota Arts & Cultural Heritage Fund and the Lake Agassiz Regional Library (major sponsors), Concordia College Cultural Events, the Friends of the Fargo Public Library, the Friends of the West Fargo Public Library, the Friends of the Moorhead Library, and Moorhead Community Education.
• Fall Feel Good Kit.
-November 18, 7pm – Main Library
-November 20, 7pm – Dr. James Carlson Library
• Friday Movie at Carlson.
• ARTtober Gallery, November 15-December 31.
Director Tim Dirks referred the Board to his written report in the Board Packet and gave a library covid update.
No unfinished business.
Staff Identification Policy Review
Director Tim Dirks referred the Board to the Staff Identification Policy in the Board Packet. No changes were recommended for this review.
A motion was made by Carlos Hawley Jr. to approve the Staff Identification Policy as is. Jenna Reno seconded the motion; motion carried.
Travel and Continuing Education Policy Review
Director Tim Dirks referred the Board to the Travel and Continuing Education Policy in the Board Packet. No changes were recommended for this review.
A motion was made by Kristen Schipper to approve the Travel and Continuing Education Policy as is. Carlos Hawley Jr. seconded the motion; motion carried.
Meeting Room Policy Draft
Director Tim Dirks referred the Board to the Meeting Room Policy draft in the Board Packet. Many changes were recommended to this policy. Notable changes include reducing the booking period to six months in advance, removing fee’s for all non-profit groups for all rooms, adding a rule stipulating two or more no show’s may result in suspension of use, and standardizing the technology fee to $20 per booking at all locations.
A motion was made by Carlos Hawley Jr. to approve the Meeting Room Policy as drafted. Jenna Reno seconded the motion; motion carried.
The Library had 29,441 registered patrons for the month of September. Program attendance was 903. Circulation was up 4.38% compared to September of the previous year. Overall circulation year to date is 640,300.
An additional comparison 2021 to 2019 was presented for both usage and circulation. Director Dirks referred the Board to the comparison in the Board Packet. Year to date 2021 total circulation was 20% less than year to date 2019.
There was $1,330 of incoming donations. There was $1,628 expenditures of donations. The year is 75% lapsed while the budget is 72.11% expended. Revenue is at $13,428.64 year to date.
Friends of the Library Report
No Friends report.
No public comment.
Next Board Meeting
The next regular Board Meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, November 16, 2021 at 4 p.m.
The meeting adjourned at 4:26 p.m.