Fargo Public Library Board - January 18, 2022 Minutes
Regular Meeting: Tuesday, January 18, 2022 Minutes
Board Members Present: Scott Beaulier, Carlos Hawley Jr., Kristen Schipper, Jenna Reno, Amy Ouren
Board Members Absent: Carrie Peterson, Rachael Steenholdt
Staff: Tim Dirks, Megan Richardson, Betsy Dauer
President Scott Beaulier called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m. and a quorum was declared. This meeting was attended virtually and in person.
Order of Agenda
A motion was made by Carlos Hawley Jr. to approve the Order of the Agenda. Kristen Schipper seconded the motion; motion carried.
Minutes of December 21, 2021 Regular Meeting
Carlos Hawley Jr. made a motion to approve the minutes of the December 21, 2021 meeting. Jenna Reno seconded the motion; motion carried.
Megan Richardson presented a few highlights of staff updates and events.
• In the offer phase of hiring the new LAIII. The Collection Development/Technical Services Manager position closed January 12 and the Library I Adult and Teen Services position will close January 19.
Upcoming Featured Events & Programs (for a full list of all upcoming FPL activities, visit FargoLibrary.org). All programs are subject to change due to COVID numbers.
• Winter Storytime. Jan. 24-March 31
-Mondays – Main Library, 10:00am & 6:30pm
-Tuesdays – Northport Library, 11:00am
-Wednesdays – Carlson Library, 10:00am
-Carlson Library – Mondays, 3:00-4:45pm
-Northport Library – Tuesdays, 3:00-4:45pm
• Libraries Dance Series: Hearts on Fire Ballet, February 8, 6:30pm – Main Library
• Emoji Paint Workshop, February 12, 11:00am – Carlson Library
• French Knitting for Kids, February 13, 2:00pm – Carlson Library
• Teen Time, Tuesdays, Carlson and Main Library (alternating)
-1st and 3rd Tuesdays, 3:30-5:00pm – Carlson Library
-2nd and 4th Tuesdays, 3:30-5:00pm – Main Library
• Needle Felted Heart
-Carlson Library – February 5, 10:00am
-Northport Library – February 10, 6:30pm
• February Foreign Language Film Series
-February 6: Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion (Italy – 1970)
-February 13: Day for Night (France – 1973)
-February 20: All About My Mother (Spain – 1999)
-February 27: The Secret in Their Eyes (Argentina – 2009)
• Book Clubs
-Classics Book Club, January 19 – Dune by Frank Herbert
-History Reading Club, January 25 – Hero of Two Worlds: the Marquis de Lafayette in the Age of Revolution by Mikek Duncan
-Sense of Place, February 3 – Our Riches by Kaouther Adimi
-Diverse Perspectives, February 10 – The Fire This Time: a New Generations Speaks About Race edited by Jesmyn Ward
-Tea Time Book Club, February 14 – The Book of Lost Names by Kristin Harmel
-Senior Book Club, February 15 – The Good Sister by Sally Hepworth
• Winter Reading Program. This year’s program, Get Smitten with Reading!, started January 3 and runs through March 6.
• Winter Relaxation Kits. Treat yourself to some winter relaxation by creating a zen garden, doing a cross-stitch pattern, and practicing mindfulness with chocolate. This event is open to teens and adults. Registration is required and opens two weeks before each craft. All three locations will have the to-go kids to distribute the week of January 17.
• Northern Narratives. The Fargo Public Library is seeking submissions for our sixth annual Northern Narratives, a writing project that aims to inspire regional writers and serve as a community heirloom. We are accepting submissions February 1 through March 31 in three categories: fiction, nonfiction, and poetry. The program is open to adults and teens 13 years or older.
Director Tim Dirks referred the Board to his written report in the Board Packet and gave a library covid update. The meeting with City Admin to discuss the Library Covid 19 After Action Report was rescheduled to January 19.
One staff member was impacted by covid currently and one staff was out with a daycare closure.
Director Tim Dirks explained the Facilities Master Plan would be happening this year with capital money. The formation of a committee for the project is needed. Jenna Reno offered to be the Board representative for the committee.
No unfinished business.
Director Tim Dirks referred the Board to the Statement of Concern Committee’s recommendation regarding Gender Queer by Maia Kobabe in the Board Packet. The committee recommends keeping the item in the current collection, Adult Graphic Novels.
A motion was made by Kristen Schipper to accept the committee recommendation. Carlos Hawley Jr. seconded the motion; motion carried.
Zero Tolerance Policy Review_
Director Tim Dirks referred the Board to the Zero Tolerance Policy in the Board Packet. No changes were recommended.
A motion was made by Carlos Hawley Jr. to approve the Zero Tolerance Policy as is. Scott Beaulier seconded the motion; motion carried.
The Library had 28,494 registered patrons for the month of December. Program attendance was 1,206. Circulation was up 44.88% compared to December of the previous year. Overall circulation year to date is 849,325.
Director Tim Dirks presented a 2021 comparison to 2019. Program attendance was down 26 percent compared to 2019. Circulation was down 18.89%. 2019 total circulation was 1,047,165. 2022 total circulation was 849,325. 2019 was a record year for both programming and circulation.
There was $1,915 of incoming donations. There was $142 expenditures of donations. The year is 100% lapsed while the budget is 98.06% expended. The thirteenth period of 2021 will be reported at the February meeting. Revenue is at $18,684.44 year to date.
Friends of the Library Report
No Friends report.
No public comment.
Next Board Meeting
The next regular Board Meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, February 15, 2021 at 4 p.m.
The meeting adjourned at 4:25 p.m.