Assessors Hero

Appealing Your Assessment

You are welcome to appeal your assessment anytime via the following methods:

1. Informal Appraisal Review

The simplest method of appealing your assessment is to call our office and ask us to review your appraisal. Current (uncertified) values may be appealed at any time. In most cases, we will send an appraiser to the property to perform a new appraisal and review it against our current value. If a change is justified, we will make the correction.

2. Board of Equalization Meetings

Once a year the City, County and State Boards of Equalization meet to hear individual property tax valuation appeals. Once scheduled, the dates and times of the meetings will be added to the calendar at the right.

It is recommended to contact the City of Fargo Assessment Department prior to attending the meeting(s).

At the hearing, you will be given the opportunity to present any evidence you have to support the value you feel should be placed on the property.

Note: You may appear at the County Board of Equalization without first attending the City Board of Equalization; however, you must appear at both the City and County boards to appeal your assessment at the State Board of Equalization.

3. File an Abatement

Any person who has an estate, right, title or interest in a property may file an application for abatement or refund of taxes. Meetings will then be set at the city and county level. If necessary, the decision made by the local governing bodies may also be appealed to North Dakota District Court.

Applications must be filed by November 1st of the year following the year in which the tax becomes delinquent. For example, the application for abatement of a 2023 tax (payable in 2024) must be filed no later than November 1, 2025.

If you have any questions about your value or appealing your assessment, please call our office at 701.241.1340 and ask to speak to an appraiser.

View the full Taxpayer Bill of Rights to learn more.