Frequently asked questions

Sump Pump Questions

For any questions regarding sump pumps, please refer to the Sump Pump Program FAQS.

What should I do if I see liquid flowing out of a manhole?

Stay away from the liquid and contact the wastewater department at 701.241.1454.

Is it alright to dump grease down my house drains?

No. Dumping grease and oil down your drains will eventually cause back-ups in your sewer lines. Additionally, grease will accumulate in the city assets and cause back up problems as well. Property owners and/or residents are encouraged to separate out grease and oil so it doesn’t go down the drain.

Is it alright to flush wipes down the drain if the packaging label says it's flushable?

No. The term flushable is miss-leading. Many objects and materials labeled as flushable may be flushable, but are not dispersible (don’t break apart). Only flush materials which are considered dispersible, such as toilet paper.

If I have a plugged sewer can the City help me?

Yes, we can check the City-owned main and to determine if the problem is being caused by City-owned assets or if the problem will require the property owner to hire a plumber to help solve the problem.

What part of the sewer service line is coming from my house or property and connecting to the City sewer line am I responsible for when preventative or corrective maintenance of the sewer service line is required?

All work for the purposes of preventative or corrective maintenance of the sewer service line coming from house or property up to and including the connection to the City sewer line shall be the sole responsibility of the owner of the property receiving sewer service. All preventative or corrective maintenance work on these service lines shall be performed by a licensed plumber and in accordance with the City ordinances including permits for excavation within the public right of way.

Do you give tours of the wastewater facilities?

Yes, in fact the wastewater facilities are publically owned treatment facilities. We frequently give tours to the public. Please call 701.241.1454 to schedule a tour.

Do you accept liquid hauled waste?

Commercial liquid waste haulers may apply for a permit to discharge hauled waste at the Wastewater Treatment Facility. Please call 701.241.1454 for more information.

Who do I contact regarding my sewer bill?

Please contact the City Auditor’s Office at 701.241.1300.