Solid Waste Hero Image

Household Hazardous Waste

Fargo residents can bring household hazardous waste (HHW) to our facility year-round at no charge during regular business hours.

Household hazardous waste includes items labeled danger, toxic, poisonous, corrosive or flammable such as paints, thinners, stains, varnish, drain and oven cleaners, poisons, automotive fluids, weed and insect killer, fluorescent light bulbs and ballasts, etc. These materials (in household quantities or up to 220 pounds per month per residence), among others, are accepted at the city's permanent HHW facility.

The HHW facility also accepts one computer set (tower, monitor and accessories as well as one television) per resident, per month.

The City of Fargo does not pick-up electronics or household hazardous waste products during Cleanup Week.

Non-Fargo Residents

The City of Fargo's HHW Facility accepts household hazardous waste from all Valley City and Cass County residents who use the Fargo Landfill (or whose hauler uses the Fargo landfill for disposal of their household garbage).

For example, the City of Harwood contracts with Waste Management, Inc. to bring their garbage to the City of Fargo Landfill. Since the program is paid for through the landfill tipping fees, Harwood residents can bring household hazardous waste to our facility.

Moorhead residents can call the Clay County HHW facility at 218.299.5077.