Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the Engineering Department Located?
The Engineering Department is located on the first floor in City Hall, 225 4th Street North.

What is the process to get my alley paved?
For detailed information on this process, please refer to the Engineering Department’s Alley Paving Process page.

There are numerous of small, multi-colored flags and paint markings within and near my property. What does this mean?
These flags and markings are locate markings for various utilities, such as sewer and water pipes, gas and electric lines, communication cables, etc. They are placed to ensure a safe excavating process and to prevent any disruption in utility services. Please visit ND One Call for more information, and visit ND One Call Resources & Education to view a flag/paint color key.

I am doing a remodeling project and would like to get a dumpster placed on the street in front of my house. Who should I contact?
You must first request delivery of a dumpster by calling the Fargo Solid Waste Department at 701.241.1449. After making arrangements for delivery of the dumpster, a permit allowing for a dumpster to be placed in City Right-of-Way must be obtained from the Engineering Department at 701.241.1545.

What are storm water discharges?
Storm water discharges are generated by runoff from land and impervious areas such as paved streets, parking lots, and building rooftops during rainfall and snow events. This runoff often contains pollutants in quantities that could adversely affect water quality. Most storm water discharges require coverage by a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit. The primary method to control storm water discharges is through the use of structural and nonstructural best management practices (BMPs).

Why is storm water management needed?
Most people think storm water runoff is a relatively harmless, natural occurrence, and do not realize it has the potential to pollute one of our most precious natural resources, our fresh water supply (lakes and streams). Storm water frequently has high levels of sediment, litter, phosphorus, nitrogen, heavy metals, oil, grease and organic materials.

As a contractor how does storm water management affect me and my job site?
As storm water flows over a construction site, it picks up pollutants like sediment, debris, and chemicals. The National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) storm water program requires operators of construction sites 1 acre or larger (including smaller sites that are part of a larger common plan of development) to obtain authorization to discharge storm water under an NPDES construction storm water permit.

How do I determine my property lines?
Please refer to our Property Lines page for details on locating your property lines.

My sanitary sewer service line is backing up and in need of repair. How do I got about getting it repaired?
Please visit the City of Fargo Wastewater Department's Sanitary Sewer Repair Assistance page for details on this issue.