Join Our Team
Are you or someone you know considering a career in public safety? The Fargo Fire Department (FFD) is looking for hard working people to join the ranks of an elite and nationally accredited organization. As the regional leader, The FFD is nationally recognized with an ISO Class 1-Rating.
The application for the position of Firefighter is only open at certain times of the year. Set up a job posting alert for the “Fire & EMS” category on The City of Fargo careers page to be notified via email when the next application period opens.
- No prior firefighting experience is required to apply.
- You must be at least 18 and have a high school diploma or GED.
Fire Department personnel begin their career in the operations division. Operations personnel work 24-hour shifts spread across seven stations to provide responsive service every day at any time. Operations personnel balance their time between emergency response training, performing community risk reduction activities and responding to emergency calls.
Typical daily activities include:
- Suppression, hazardous materials, technical rescue or EMS training
- Fire prevention inspections
- Public education events
- Responding to calls that can include EMS, fire, vehicle accidents, activated fire alarms and many other types of calls
- Maintaining The City's fire hydrants and Fire Department equipment
- Familiarization with buildings in a crew's response area
Becoming a Fargo Firefighter